About credit and debit cards
Credit cards are issued by a bank, building society, or card scheme and let customers pay on credit. Debit cards are issued by a bank and let customers transfer funds directly from their bank account. Cardholders can pay for products or services at a point of sale, online, or on a mobile app. They can also withdraw cash, or link their card to digital wallets or other local payment methods.
Credit cards are a very common payment method in many countries. Their widespread acceptance, ease of use, and ability to process payments in multiple currencies make them the ideal choice for many customers.
Cards may feature:
- A card number to uniquely identify the card
- A 3-4 digit card verification code (CVC) for additional security
- An expiry date
- The cardholder's name
MultiSafepay supports the following credit and debit cards:
- American Express (Amex)
- Mastercard (credit card) and Maestro (debit card)
- Visa and co-branded cards Cartes Bancaires , Dankort , V Pay (debit card)
|Countries||Amex, Maestro, Mastercard, Visa: Worldwide |
Cartes Bancaires: France
V Pay: Europe
|Currencies||Amex: EUR, GBP, USD |
Maestro, Mastercard, Visa: AED, AUD, BRL, CAD, CHF, CLP, CNY, COP, CZK, DKK, EUR, GBP, HKD, HRK, HUF, ILS, INR, ISK, JPY, KRW, MXN, MYR, NOK, NZD, PEN, PHP, PLN, RON, RUB, SEK, SGD, THB, TRY, TWD, UAH, USD, VEF, ZAR
To support additional currencies, email [email protected]
|3D Secure 2.0||Yes|
|Chargebacks||Yes, except Postepay|
|Payment pages||Yes (current and deprecated versions)|
|Refunds||Yes: Full and partial|
This diagram shows the flow for a successful transaction. Click to magnify.
The table below sets out the order status and transaction status for payments and refunds.
|Description||Order status||Transaction status|
|The customer has been redirected for 3D Secure authentication, or the card scheme is authorizing the transaction.||Initialized||Initialized|
|The card scheme authorized the transaction, but we've flagged it as potentially fraudulent. |
Review it and then manually capture or decline.
|MultiSafepay has collected payment.||Completed||Completed|
|(Amex account number flow) American Express has collected payment.||Completed||Initialized|
|Payment wasn't captured manually or within 5 days.||Void||Void/Cancelled|
|The customer didn't complete 3D Secure authentication.||Expired||Expired|
|The customer failed 3D Secure authentication or cancelled payment. |
See Card errors.
First apply to MultiSafepay, and then activate in your dashboard.
How to activate cards
Email a request to [email protected]
Include in the request your:
- Average, minimum, and maximum transaction amount
- Annual turnover
We check your eligibilty and if approved, activate the payment method for your account.
Once approved, sign in to your MultiSafepay dashboard .
Go to Settings.
To activate the payment method for:
- All sites, go to Payment methods.
- A specific site, go to Website settings, and click the relevant site.
Select the checkbox for the payment method, and then click Save changes.
Support: If the payment method isn't visible in your dashboard, email [email protected]
- Create order > Card order
- See Examples and select the relevant card scheme example.
- Transactions expire after 1 hour.
Co-branded cards are processed through the
customer object, set the
- Cartes Bancaires:
- The generic
CREDITCARDgateway saves space in your checkout and the payment page detects the card scheme based on the first 4 digits of the card number.
- See Examples > Credit card redirect.
All our ready-made integrations support:
- Amex, Maestro, Mastercard (redirect)
- Visa (including Cartes Bancaires, Dankort, Postepay, V Pay) (redirect)
To test card payments, see Testing.
If you use your Amex merchant account number:
- Amex settles the funds directly in your business bank account.
- You are automatically added to the Safekey directory.
- All currencies are supported.
The redirect integration means MultiSafepay handles sensitive cardholder data. You can also integrate directly and handle data on your PCI DSS compliant server.
See Cardholder data.
- You cannot refund more than the original transaction.
- Whether or not the refund is visible to the customer depends on the issuer's system.
- Depending on the issuer, the amount may not appear directly on the customer's card. We recommend that they contact the issuer. If they need an acquirer reference number (ARN), you can find this in your MultiSafepay dashboard in the transaction details.
- You can process refunds via MultiSafepay for up to 180 days after payment was completed.
- MultiSafepay sends refunds to the issuer within 1 business day.
- You can cancel a refund while the status is Initialized or Reserved. For more information, see Cancellation.
If you process a partial refund on the same day, this is technically a reversal, but for simplicity is logged as a refund in your MultiSafepay dashboard.
On the customer's credit card statement, the transaction may either be:
- Adjusted to the new amount= Partial reversal
- Not debited at all= Full reversal
Note: You can't cancel a reversal as the funds are immediately returned to the customer.
Email [email protected]
Updated 1 day ago