Bancontact is a leading Belgian payment method that supports online, mobile, QR, POS, and wallet payments. It is a household name and supported by over 80% of Belgian webshops. Once payment is completed, the customer cannot reverse it and Bancontact guarantees settlement.
Read how Bancontact can benefit your business on multisafepay.com
This diagram shows the flow for a successful transaction. Click to magnify.
The table below sets out the order status and transaction status for payments and refunds.
|Description||Order status||Transaction status|
|The customer has initiated a transaction (non-mobile only).||Initialized||Initialized|
|MultiSafepay has collected payment.||Completed||Completed|
|Bancontact has declined the transaction.||Declined||Declined|
|The transaction was cancelled.||Void||Cancelled|
|The customer didn't complete payment and the transaction expired (non-mobile only).||Expired||Expired|
|Refunds: Refund initiated.||Reserved||Reserved|
|Refunds: Refund complete.||Completed||Completed|
- Sign in to your MultiSafepay dashboard .
- To activate the payment method for:
- All sites, go to Settings > Payment methods.
- A specific site:
- Go to Integrations > Sites, and then click the relevant site.
- On the Site profile page, under Payment methods, click Select payment methods.
- Select the checkbox for the payment method, and then click Save changes.
Support: If the payment method isn't visible in your dashboard, email [email protected]
See API reference – Create order > Banking order.
For example requests, on the Create order page, in the black sandbox, see Examples > Bancontact redirect/QR.
Transactions expire after 1 hour (banking only).
Supported in all ready-made integrations.
To test Bancontact payments, see Testing payment methods - Banking methods.
Bancontact WIP is a wallet initiated payment service you can use for:
- Bancontact One-Click Pay: customer-initiated one-click payments to make checkout faster and increase conversion
- Bancontact Recurring: merchant-initiated subscription payments
Bancontact Payconiq gives you access to a merchant wallet to securely store customers' payment details in. Customers give one-time consent and only need to pass strong customer authentication (SCA) for their first purchase.
There is no shift in liability for chargebacks from issuer to acquirer since your fraud and disputes volumes are monitored quarterly. A maximum transaction amount applies.
- Bancontact WIP is only available to low-risk, high-volume merchants (25,000 transactions quarterly), within the SEPA area.
- Applies to services only, not physical products.
- You must have easy-to-use procedures in place for refunds, cancellations, and disputes.
- Customers must be able to add, update, and delete their stored payment details.
- You must be able to continually demonstrate low rates of fraudulent transactions, or access to your merchant wallet may be revoked.
Email a request to activate Bancontact WIP to [email protected]
Requests are screened and approved by Bancontact Payconiq.
See Recurring payments.
Email [email protected]
Updated 6 days ago