Bancontact is a leading Belgian payment method that supports online, mobile, QR, POS, and wallet payments. It is a household name and supported by over 80% of Belgian webshops. Once payment is completed, the customer cannot reverse it and Bancontact guarantees settlement.
Read how Bancontact can benefit your business on multisafepay.com
This diagram shows the flow for a successful transaction. Click to magnify.
The table below sets out the order status and transaction status for payments and refunds.
|Description||Order status||Transaction status|
|The customer has initiated a transaction.||Initialized||Initialized|
|MultiSafepay has collected payment.||Completed||Completed|
|Bancontact has declined the transaction.||Declined||Declined|
|The transaction was cancelled.||Void||Cancelled|
|The customer didn't complete payment and the transaction expired.||Expired||Expired|
|Refunds: Refund initiated.||Reserved||Reserved|
|Refunds: Refund complete.||Completed||Completed|
You can activate Bancontact yourself in your dashboard.
How to activate Bancontact
- Sign in to your MultiSafepay dashboard.
- Go to Settings.
- To activate the payment method for:
- All sites, go to Payment methods.
- A specific site, go to Website settings, and click the relevant site.
- Select the checkbox for the payment method, and then click Save changes.
Support: If the payment method isn't visible in your dashboard, email [email protected]
- Create order > Banking order.
- Examples > Bancontact redirect/QR.
- Transactions expire after 1 hour (banking only).
Supported in all ready-made integrations.
To test Bancontact payments, see Testing.
Bancontact WIP is a wallet initiated payment service you can use for:
- Bancontact One-Click Pay: customer-initiated one-click payments to make checkout faster and increase conversion
- Bancontact Recurring: merchant-initiated subscription payments
Bancontact Payconiq gives you access to a merchant wallet to securely store customers' payment details in. Customers give one-time consent and only need to pass strong customer authentication (SCA) for their first purchase.
There is no shift in liability for chargebacks from issuer to acquirer since your fraud and disputes volumes are monitored quarterly. A maximum transaction amount applies.
- Bancontact WIP is only available to low-risk, high-volume merchants (25,000 transactions quarterly), within the SEPA area.
- Applies to services only, not physical products.
- You must have easy-to-use procedures in place for refunds, cancellations, and disputes.
- Customers must be able to add, update, and delete their stored payment details.
- You must be able to continually demonstrate low rates of fraudulent transactions, or access to your merchant wallet may be revoked.
Email a request to activate Bancontact WIP to [email protected]
Requests are screened and approved by Bancontact Payconiq.
See Recurring payments.
Email [email protected]
Updated 15 days ago